The Content Query Web Part
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
The Content Query web part is only available when the SharePoint Server Publishing
Infrastructure feature has been activated for the site collection. Then you
can find it in the Content Rollup web part category.
The Content Query is similar to the Content Search web part that has been
used in several earlier demonstrations, but there is an important difference
in how the search is performed: The Content Search can search the index of
the entire tenancy, while the Content Query only can search the site collection
(default) or specified sites in the site collection.
There is a certain delay before the index is updated, so you will not see
your changes right away when you let the Content Search search the whole index.
With the Content Query web part any changes are shown more quickly, and therefore
the Content Query is suitable for content that is often changed, like tasks.
The Content Query is a bit easier to configure, as you can find all options
in the web part properties.
In the demo below Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, shows how to use the Content Query web part to collect
tasks from sites within the same site collection and show them on a page.
Add a Content Query web part that shows all tasks
- Open the page where you want to add the web part in edit mode.
- Under the INSERT tab, click on Web Part and select the Content Query
web part in the Content Rollup category.
- Edit the web part and open the Query accordion.
- Add site URLs if you want to restrict the search to certain sites and
not include the whole site collection.
- Select to show items from the Tasks list type.
- Expand the Properties accordion and remove the text in the URL textbox
under Fields to display. Under Properties you can also group and sort the
displayed items, set the number of columns and make other settings.
- Expand the Appearance accordion and enter a suitable title for the web
- Make any other web part settings you prefer, apply and save the page.