Create a Landing Page with an Excel Chart
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
the previous demo Peter Kalmström,
CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, created a landing
page with a web part that shows the view links to the right and the list items
to the left.
In the demo below Peter enhances this landing page with an Excel chart that
shows number of worked hours per assinged. Peter created that chart in
an earlier demo.
Note that the Excel Web Access web part that Peter uses in the demo is only
available in the Enterprise Plan of SharePoint or Office 365.
Add an Excel chart to a web part in a SharePoint landing page
- Save the Excel chart to the SharePoint site that has the list you are
using. Select a view option under Browser View Options... Peter selects the
default option, to show the entire workbook.
- Copy the path to the saved workbook.
- On the SharePoint landing page, click on ‘Edit’ on the top right of the
page. The page will open in Edit mode.
- Place the mouse cursor in the column, where you want to add the chart.
Open the INSERT tab and click on the ‘Web Part’ button.
- Under the category Business Data, select the Excel Web Access part. Click
- Edit the web part and select what workbook to use.
- Write in the name of the item you want to show in the web part.
- Uncheck the box for All Workbook interactivity and do other settings
to customize the web part before you click OK.
- (If the chart size does not fit you can change it in Excel, save and
refresh the SharePoint page to check if it looks better.)
- Save the page.
Refresh the Excel chart
When an Excel chart is added to a SharePoint page in this way, it will not
be updated automatically when the list data is changed. Instead you have to
open Excel and refresh the chart. This can be done in two ways:
Under the DATA tab you can also click on the Connections button and then Properties
and check the box for 'Refresh data when opening the file'.
- Click on the Refresh button under the ANALYZE tab and select Refresh
- Click on the Refresh All button under the DATA tab.