Create Clickable SharePoint Online Image in Excel
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
this last article about how to create hotspot images – pictures
with clickable links – for use in SharePoint, we will look
at how you can create such images in Excel.
Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, shows how to open a map in Excel and
add links to the continents. Then he saves the picture
to a SharePoint site and inserts it in a Content Editor
web part in a SharePoint wiki page.
If you try this tip, make sure you don't insert the image
into a specific cell. You should not have a range of cells
selected when you insert the image. Images inserted in cells
will only give a white box in the Content Editor web part.
Create a picture with clickable links in Excel
Now, each time you change something in the file on your
computer and save it, the SharePoint image will be updated
- Open Excel and insert an image that you want to
give clickable areas. You can also use a SmartArt graphic.
- Use the freeform scribble shape (or another suitable
shape) to draw a line around the area.
- Select the area and add a hyperlink to it.
- Save the image as a Web Page to the Site Pages library
in the site where you want to show it.
- Publish the sheet and allow Autorepublishing every
time the file is saved.
- Save the file as an .xlsx file to your computer
and enable the AutoRepublish feature.
- Open the SharePoint page in edit mode and insert
the Content Editor web part.
- Point the web part to the file you saved from Excel