Use Content Search for News from several Sites
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
Search can be used for efficient news distribution. In the demos below Peter
Kalmstrom, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, creates
Announcements apps for three sites and displays them all on one page using
the Content Search web part. Peter also points out how the news search is
trimmed by permissions.
Add a Content Search Web Part and connect it to Announcements apps
- Create one Announcements app for each site collection that should be
included in the distribution.
- Open the page where you want to add the Content Searchweb part
in Edit mode.
- Click on the Web Part button under the ribbon INSERT tab and select the
part Content Search in the Content Rollup category. Click on Add.
- Edit the web part and click on the 'Change query' button.
- Select the query 'Items matching a content type (System)'. Restrict to
the content type Announcements. (Peter chooses to not restrict by app or
tag.) Click OK.
- Set the number of items to show.
- Select a Display Template for Control and Item. Peter recommends 'List
with Paging' and 'Two lines'.
- Click on Apply and Save the page.