Workflow for Alert E-mail to Assigned with CC
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
earlier articles we have shown different ways to set e-mail alerts to the
people who have been assigned tasks. This can be done either with or without
a workflow, but to have a cc on the e-mail you need to use a workflow.
In the demo below Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, shows how to create a workflow that sends an e-mail to
two people or groups.
Peter creates a SharePoint 2013 workflow, but the principle is the same for
SharePoint 2010 workflows. He sets the workflow to be sent when a new item
is created in a task list, but you can use the workflow for any list and also
make it send the e-mail when an item has been changed.
Create a SharePoint 2013 workflow for e-mail notifications to the assigned
with a CC
- In the Standard view: click on the Create column button under the LIST
tab in the ribbon.
- Give the new column a name and select the column type Person or Group.
- In SharePoint Designer, open the site that has the list you want to send
- Open the Summary page for the list.
- At Workflows, click on the New button.
- Give the new workflow a Name and a Description and select a Platform
Type. Both works, but Peter uses a SharePoint 2013 workflow. Click OK.
- Set the start options you wish to use under Start Options in the Workflow
Peter uses "Start workflow automatically when an item is created", but you
can also choose ""Start workflow automatically when an item is changed" –
- Click on the 'Edit the workflow' link.
- Set the Transition to Stage to Go to End of Workflow.
- For Stage 1, click on the Action button in the ribbon and select Send
- Click on 'these users' and for To in the Define E-mail Message dialog,
select 'Workflow Lookup for a User'.
- Click on Add and select the 'Field from source' Assigned To and the 'Return
field as' Email Address. Click OK
- For CC in the Define E-mail Message dialog, select 'Workflow Lookup for
a User'. Click on Add, and select the new Person or Group column you created
at 'Field from source' and Email Address at 'Return field as' . Click OK.
- Enter a subject and the e-mail body text. Peter adds a lookup for the
title in the subject and for the priority in the body text.
- Publish the workflow.